Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Why I will not top up my CPF SA voluntarily

Personal financial planning is a topic which I seldom talk about, but I do have my own plan and I would like to share it here.

About topping up my CPF SA account voluntarily.

The good:

4% interest.
I find that topping up the CPF SA account is very good viable option as it earns you a 4% interest and when compounded over the years, the amount of money can be substantial. The earlier you start, the better the effects of compounding is seen.

Tax benefits
Up to $14k. If you do that for 10 years, you would have saved $140k!!

BUT BUT BUT..This is not my plan.

My plan is this:

To invest in stocks/ liquid assets and get my 2nd property/3rd property in years to come.

If I were to put my money into SA account, the move is IRREVERSIBLE. So how can I get to buy my 2nd property ?

Investment in Real Estate
I want to invest in real estate, at least this is what I believe works in Singapore. Many people say that Singapore is heading a property crash, but the real estate, like stocks, goes through cycles too.
In Year 2003, some condos are for sale at $300k. Right now, in Year 2016, these condos have doubled or even tripled in value.

If you are investing for a long term 10-20 years horizon, houses, due to increase of prices in land/construction/manpower (inflation) , will likely appreciate decently too.

And yes, Do not think of buying properties in Malaysia/Cambodia/Vietnam, I am not referring to investment in these countries, not for properties please.

What i like about real estate is I can utilize leverage (mortgage) to get some passive rental income, enjoy some capital appreciation, and if all things goes badly, at least I can stay in it!

Lastly, plan early.

Do what you are comfortable with, but at least plan ahead and stick to it. The worse is not planning anything and making haphazard investment decisions!


No comments:

Post a Comment