Pages

Sunday 14 February 2016

It is here.. Robots replacing humans for jobs.

Last weekend, I went to MacDonald's to buy an ice cream. Wow.. when I stepped in, instead of the usual cashiers and tables in the usual lay out, I saw this:


SELF SERVICE KIOSK.

Now, instead of queuing, all I had to do is to press a touchscreen, make some selections, pay on the spot, and Tada! I get a queue no. and I wait for my ice cream, all done in less than 10 minutes.

JOBS REPLACED BY SOFTWARE BOTS-BILL GATES

In 2014, Business Insider wrote an article where Bill Gates states that "People don't realize how many jobs will soon be replaced by Software Bots"

This what he said:

“Software substitution, whether it’s for drivers or waiters or nurses … it’s progressing. …  Technology over time will reduce demand for jobs, particularly at the lower end of skill set. …  20 years from now, labor demand for lots of skill sets will be substantially lower. I don’t think people have that in their mental model.”
 
I digress a little. I am hugely interested in what experts say about future developments, especially when people like Bill Gates had been very spot on on their predictions decades ago.

Bill gates, in 1999, predicted about Social Media/Home monitoring/Internet payments/ mobile devices/ price comparison sites ..etc.

It was scarily accurate.

Now, I have to sit up and seriously look into what he says lah!

Instead of jobs being replaced by foreign talents, I think the real danger is software bots -_-

WHAT DOES THIS IMPLY?

In 20  years time, these jobs will become irrelevant:

In 20 years time, I will be in my 40s-50s and my job falls nowhere near the 'safe zone' :(

In 20 years time, our children will be the ones facing the brunt and unless they have high skill sets, it's going to be difficult for them.

Lastly, CANNOT BEAT SOFTWARE BOTS? JOIN THEM.

Become a software developer.

Unfortunately, it is really 'easier said than done'. A coder needs to possess really innate logical thinking and clearly, not anyone can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment